September 23, 2014

Caucasian Christ

I once asked a black guy (a close friend) if he pictured Jesus as a black man (I honestly have no idea how the topic came up). I was a bit surprised when he answered, "Yes, when I think of Jesus, I picture him as a black man." I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, that's really weird. You know he's not black, right?" (I don't remember if I actually said it out loud, but I was definitely thinking it.)

Something recently occurred to me, however. Jesus wasn't a white guy either. He was a middle-eastern Jew. Yet, I have a really hard time picturing him as anything other than a white dude. Weird.

I'm not using this to illustrate an ethical principle or make a profound theological point. I just thought it was kind of funny. So, there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow by Email

Support C&C by Using One of Our Amazon Associate Links