May 21, 2014

Would You Give a Drink of Water to a Mormon If He Was Dying of Thirst?

I want to offer a few thoughts on the proper application of the following verses in light of a recent objection I heard.

2 John 7-11
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.
Would I give a drink of water to a Mormon if he was dying of thirst? Absolutely, I would (see Luke 10:29-37).

But, if Benny Hinn wanted to crash on my couch, he'd be out of luck.

Is that inconsistent? I don't think so. In the first case, there is an immediate need. When I see a fellow human being in urgent need of assistance, I'm not going to bother asking about his theological convictions. It's completely beside the point. I might find out afterward, and then I'll give him the gospel to go along with his drink of water.

In the second case, I'm simply not going to do anything to support the ministry of a false teacher. I'm not going to do anything to make him (or anyone else) think that we're playing for the same team. The least loving thing I can do in a situation like this is to make the false teacher comfortable in his sin. I wouldn't knowingly provide aid and comfort to a thief or murderer either. In a very real way, false teachers are worse than thieves or murderers because they can do eternal (rather than merely temporal) harm to their victims.

Frankly, the difference between the two cases is quite obvious, and I doubt a criticism like this is being offered in good faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow by Email

Support C&C by Using One of Our Amazon Associate Links