November 18, 2013

My Seminary Experience - Why MCTS?

Having finished my undergraduate degree in Christian Studies (at Columbia Evangelical Seminary) back in September, I decided to continue my theological education at the Midwest Center for Theological Studies. I am now enrolled in the track two program (the Master of Arts in Theological Studies or MATS for short).  As I progress through my studies, I hope to chronicle my seminary experience on this blog by offering updates and reflections on a (Lord willing) regular basis.

To get started, I thought I'd explain why I decided to study at MCTS rather than one of the many other fine institutions that offer theological education through distance education. So, here's why I chose Midwest:

  • Flexibility - In addition to the traditional classes offered onsite, MCTS offers correspondence courses, online classes, and week long modular courses. 
  • Affordability - You simply won't find a more affordable high-quality theological education offered anywhere else.
  • Orthodoxy - The professors at MCTS subscribe to the gold standard of Reformed Baptist orthodoxy, the London Baptist Confession of 1689. Though I could quibble over a few points here and there (I actually prefer the 1646 confession myself), any school that teaches both Reformed and Baptist distinctives has a definite leg up over the competition.
  • The Professors - Sam Waldron is the academic dean and professor of theology at MCTS. After hearing him speak and debate earlier this year at the Deep South Founders Conference in Jackson I knew I couldn't pass up the opportunity to study under him. Also, the adjunct and visiting professors include such notables as Tom Ascol, Tom Nettles, and Don Whitney. 
And that, in a nutshell, is why I chose the Midwest Center for Theological Studies. I highly recommend MCTS to anyone who is considering pursuing a theological education. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow by Email

Support C&C by Using One of Our Amazon Associate Links