August 27, 2013

The Thing About the Truth Is . . .

The thing about the truth is . . . not everyone likes it.

However, it's not truth that bothers me but error. And, yes, I know that it's not my place to correct everyone. But, if you heard someone loudly and proudly proclaiming, "2 + 2 = 5" wouldn't you correct them? Wouldn't you want to correct them for their own good? Or, perhaps, for the sake of the truth itself? Isn't truth, after all, a good worth pursuing for its own sake? If that's true of a mathematical equation, how much more for the truths of God's Word? Theology is infinitely more important than arithmetic. Our beliefs about God, about sin and salvation, affect every aspect of our lives. The effects reach our very souls. Eternity is at stake. God's glory is at stake. When I hear others casually misrepresenting Scripture, propagating error and passing off lies as truth, no matter how sincere or well-meaning they might be, I feel the need to correct them. For their own good, for the good of those who might be listening to them, and, most importantly, for the glory of the God whose Word they are misunderstanding or misrepresenting. Of course I know that no one likes being told that he is wrong. And I know that there is a right way and a wrong way to go about speaking the truth (see Ephesians 4:15). I also know that there have been times when I said or wrote the right thing in the entirely wrong way

And yet . . . I still get the feeling that, at times, it's not the presentation of the truth that rankles but the truth itself. As if the mere act of disagreeing with someone is an insult. The point I'm getting at, though, is this: if it's the way I said it that offended you, then I sincerely apologize. But . . . if it's the truth itself that bothers you; well, your quarrel isn't with me. So, don't expect an apology. I'll apologize for my lack of humility or compassion. I'll apologize for being rude or abrasive. But apologize for believing and speaking the truth? That I cannot do. 


Follow by Email

Support C&C by Using One of Our Amazon Associate Links